Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Working with cheetahs

Cheetahs (Acinonyx jubatus) have always been a favorite of mine out of all the big cats. Imagine my excitement, on the way to Karongwe Game Reserve, when I find out that part of the research I will be participating in, involves tracking and observing three collared cheetahs! The first time I laid eyes on the sleek and beautiful creature made the hairs on my arms stand on end. I wasn’t watching a TV documentary, this was real and I was no more than five metres away.

The best sighting that will always stay in my mind was with a mother of two 10 month old cubs, Savannah. We had been tracking her for about half an hour, and finally had a good signal on the telemetry receiver. My group and I stepped off the vehicle and walked in on her. We caught up with them and observed from a safe distance, with the two cubs in a very playful mood. They were running circles around me and my group, hardly paying us any attention whatsoever, while we took down the data. It was amazing to see them so content and relaxed, and watching them interact with each other this way was a magical moment for me.

Suddenly one cub glanced our way after the glare of the sun had hit the telemetry set. He became very interested and slowly started to walk towards us. I was feeling a bit nervous, mixed with a thrill of excitement as he seemed to be staring straight into my eyes! We slowly backed away and thankfully he ran off play-fighting with his brother again. To be able to share a moment like that in the cheetah’s world was a dream come true and something I will remember forever.

Kim Gratton, volunteer, UK


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: